Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Van Gogh Pumpkins 4th grade

it has been  quite awhile since my last post! So excited that this blog has received 9000 page views since I started it a few years ago. It isn't as technically advanced as most other art blogs but it is easy to look through and does the job.

I have been teaching over 20 years at the elementary level and even though I LOVE all things van Gogh, I just couldn't get excited about sunflowers again this year.  I found a new idea on Pinterest and decided to try a PUMPKIN starry night!


My 4th graders first did their group reading about van Gogh and then set to work drawing realistic looking pumpkins on orange paper.  The rule was they had to draw three completely different looking pumpkins by observing pumpkins on their table.
                                                                   
 
Next we used oil pastels to add values to our pumpkins and color the stems.
 
Fourth graders carefully cut the pumpkins out and chose a day or night background.
 
Grass or dirt was added with pastels in a painted way, letting the marks show like van Gogh did!
 
And of course, for the final touch, a swirling sky of many hues. Gorgeous!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment