Friday, February 21, 2014

Clay Penguins Second Grade

This lesson is available on various art blogs.  I tried it with a bit of worry about whether I would get a lot of breakage with 2nd graders making clay sculpture. I tend to do flat projects with my students because there is less chance of broken projects and sad children.
                                                                  


Happily I lost only 3 penguins out of about 160 which was a big relief.  The most important thing seems to be using freshly wedged clay and making sure the kids mold the clay without breaking it apart and putting it back together. We did the entire sculpture from one small clay block, forming with our hands and adding details with a small tool.

We are using acrylic paint that was donated to the Art room to paint them which is giving them a nice smooth finished coat.
 
The 2nd graders were very pleased with their creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment