Monday, December 2, 2013

Native American Paper Plate Tepee Second Grade


Needed a filler project for my one 2nd grade class that had Art the week of Thanksgiving.  This is a very quick project with simple supplies but the kids LOVED it! 
 
My intern and I cut paper plates in half and each student was given one.  On the tables were crayons, markers and Native American pictograph sheets.  Students looked at the sheets and chose symbols they liked, drawing in marker and following the curve of the paper plate. A tan colored crayon was used to color in the paper plate the color of animal hide. 
My students had the chance to    
feel of an actual tanned hide, courtesy
of my father who is a bow hunter.

Next step was to tape 3 pieces of brown chenille stick to the back of the plate in the middle of the straight edge.  A door was added to other side with black crayon.
 
My intern and I rolled up the plate to form a cone and stapled along the overlapped edge. Some of the 2nd graders chose to color a piece of cardboard to make a base for their tepee to sit on.  They were very pleased with their work and transformation of a paper plate!
 I did this project with my niece at Thanksgiving and she liked it so much that every family member had to make a tepee so we could have an entire village on the kitchen counter.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment